Proud to be Green
With direct support from Bedford
College's CEO and Governors, sustainability has now become a
key focus throughout the college.
Bedford College is very proactive in
establishing networks, developing projects, driving initiatives to
achieve maximum benefit to the community and contributing to many
Further Education sector developments. The College has a reputation
for its achievements in sustainability training and a great deal
has been achieved in embedding sustainability into many college
operations and external partnerships.
The College has made significant advances in
recent years with many new sustainablity initiatives. Examples
- Regular updates on the College intranet and in Update
- Sustainability training/briefings delivered to students,
managers, teams and individuals.
- Learner engagement through representations, competitions,
events, projects and courses.
- Numerous curriculum initiatives.
- Annual Sustainability Day held during Climate Week, to showcase
students’ achievements and celebrate our external partnership
- Converting used vegetable oil into bio-diesel at the Vehicle
- Regional initiatives to stimulate the renewable energy
- Numerous energy efficiency
- A target to reduce energy consumption by 35% by 2017 based on
- Zero-waste recycling onsite.
- Annual ‘Stationery amnesties’ to redistribute unused
- Leading major regional sustainability projects such as
developing low carbon skills and businesses.
- Playing a proactive role in national developments to embed
sustainability into the learning and skills sector.
- On-going projects and initiatives help the college become more
energy efficient and